Tuesday, March 24, 2009

ER again.

I went to the ER again on Saturday night.
The swelling and pain got out of hand. I was up to over 250lbs and felt like my skin was about to pop off. I can't even explain to you how bad the pain was.
I was dropped off at 9pm, taken in back at around 10pm, and told them I had to go to the bathroom so could they please give me a johnny and a cup right away because I knew they would want to do a UA and I couldn't get to the bathroom without a 2nd johnny on. I also asked for a blanket because it was freezing and they didn't give me so much as a SHEET.
Come 11pm, I still had no sheet, no blanket, no johnny, no cup. I was also in a stretcher that was made for someone over 6 feet tall. It was very difficult to get on and off of even with the step stool (the one of which they gave me didn't have the handle bar thing).
I hobbled over to the curtain and said excuse me about 3-5 times and finally someone noticed me and I asked about the johnny, cup, and blankets again and said that it was urgent and that I'd been waiting over an hour already, two if you count the time in the first waiting room. A page was made.

At 11:30pm, I, after sitting on the backless, rolly chair since the initial request because of the height of the stretcher, hobbled over to the curtain again. I said "excuse me" 3 more times and then I said "Hey, excuse me" and then I yelled "HI!" and the girl who had been twiddling her thumbs 3 feet from me and heard everything I said from the first "excuse me" said "Yeah?" and so I said "Johnny. Cup. Now." and she said "Well!" and I said "I've been waiting a long time, ts not like I'm rushing you on the doctor thing, I'm just asking to pee and you've made me wait two hours!" and some other girl came in and asked what was wrong and I told her and she got me set up and I went and came back and asked for blankets again, and got one.

Then I had a student come in, probably around 1am, and talk to me, maybe 1:30, and the nurse started an IV line and got blood after sticking me 3 times. She stuck me a total of about 6 times throughout the night. It was not fun. I had an EKG and a chest x-ray, which I am told were normal. The student measured my ankles.

They left and pretty much left me there listening to the vomiting, screaming, possible-MRSA patient in the curtain next door. Said patient's son kept poking his head in and looking at me, which was creepy enough as it is... and then kepy backing up enough to bump me through the curtain. Talk about scary.

My boyfriend arrived at around 4:30am and the lady in the next curtain, who I'd been putting up with for a couple of hours already, started screaming more and saying that she was going to scream more and more and "I don't care" and at that point, I said "I do" and her son SCREAMED "Shut the fuck up!" so I yelled back "Excuse me but I didn't do anything to you, that was fucking unnecessary!" and of course THEN I get some attention. They came in and said "We've got a very sick woman over here" and I said "I understand that and that's why I have been so patient with her noise and dramatics, but that was unnecessary. I didn't do anything to them." and they moved me to another, single room, with a TV.

So then I had my boyfriend go and remind them that I am a diabetic and hadn't had ANYTHING to eat or drink at ALL for over 13 hours and could they please fix that. They got me a box lunch and then the nurse came in and started putting something into my up-until-now empty IV line. I asked what it was and she said "pain medicine" and started asking me about allergies. (Mind you, she'd already started administering the drug) I told her and asked again "What IS that?" and she said "Pain medicine. I just told you, did you forget already?" and I said "No, I mean what is it called?" and she said "Oh. Dilaudid." and THEN she checked to make sure I wasn't driving... and then a few seconds later I felt really hot and dizzy and my heart felt like it was goinbg to pop out and I said "Oh my god oh my god what the heck?"and then I needed to lay down more than I was, and then I pretty much was knocked out, and less than 15 minutes later, I was told that even though they admit that I was even MORE swollen than when I came in, that since I wasn't going to die right then and there, I had to leave right then and there.

They told me to follow-up with my PCP, and I called him and I have an appointment for noon on Tuesday. Great. A whole week. More than a week after the ER visit. WHat the hell am I supposed to do? I have a gyn appointment on Thursday. I swear if he thinks I should be admitted, I'm just going to have him do it.

The ER refused to give me copies of my test results. I did officially request them, but they said I have to go through the records department. I know that is a load of crap because I have gotten the results before. They just gave me a bunch of letters and numbers in paragraph form which I am about to try to decipher.

No comments:

Post a Comment